Learning About the Brain

Hello readers!

About a couple of months prior to our current social distancing situation, I was in the beginning stages of transitioning into another department/position.  I'm excited and scared at the same time.  But I'm ready for the challenge.  This transition requires me to learn a lot of material that is quite a bit out of the scope of what I am used to.  Learning about the brain is just one of the many.

I have been curious about the brain and how it functions ever since my Psych 101 class in my first year of college a long long time ago.  This opportunity has just reopened that curiosity for me.  I will not only need to learn the different parts of the brain and their primary functions but also about the brain waves and how dysregulation in any given wave can affect a person's behaviors.  On that same note, I will also be educated on neurofeedback and how it is used to train the brain to function on a "normal" level.  The neat part is how brain mapping ties into all of this.  Oh sure -  we can go based on a patient questionnaire to figure out which sites to train.  There is really nothing wrong with that and, when you think about it, that is how most mental illnesses are diagnosed by doctors and psychiatrists.  With brain mapping, however, we are able to take a deeper look and are shown which biomarkers are present on an electrical level.  This allows us to set up a neurofeedback protocol that will be tailored to each patient individually.

And that, my friends, is pretty much what I will be learning more about.  It's going to be a long but interesting journey!  My first three study areas will be the parts of the brain, brain waves, and Brodmann areas.

Interaction Time!

Have you or someone you know had a brain map done?  What was your experience like?  What are your thoughts on brain mapping and/or neurofeedback?  Leave comments but remember to be respectful.

As always, thanks for stopping by!  See you in my next post!

Comments

Popular Posts